People First, Tech second: How Government as a Platform and Civic Tech can help Create User Centric Plans
Explore the emerging trend toward government as a platform and how civic technology, open--‐data, and digital infrastructure can help produce new user--‐centric and community--‐driven plans. We look into how technology is used to engage with the public to support decision--‐making and the creative ways that every--‐day people are using technology and open data to improve their cities and communities. Technology raises new questions about government as a platform, access to data, plan format, organization, and community engagement. Take an in--‐depth look at several newly developed web--‐based technologies and plans and join a discussion on the benefits and challenges of this approach. You’ll learn about:
• What is Government as a Platform?
• Explore mobile applications and other emerging tools for innovating planning
• Civic tech and good examples of web--‐based civic technologies
• The benefits and challenges of using technologies and open--‐data
• Approaches to using technology to plan for your community